Tuesday 6 March 2012

Two Smews for me!

5th March 2012 -
The Smew that have returned to Holme Pierrepont for at least the last three winters proved true to their word again this year. This time being found mostly on Blott's Pit, I popped down during my lunch hour to try and find them. As I dropped off the road and onto the footpath over the stream I disturbed a Great Spotted Woodpecker and some tits and as I rounded the corner to view the lake the first birds I scanned past were the Smew. A male looking resplendant in the spring sunshine, and his female no less attractive. Always a stunning duck to watch and fortunately I managed to get some video through the scope too.
Firstly from a distance...

And I managed to creep around the bank and eventually grab the male having a good preen through the reeds...
Also present were several Goldeneye and Shoveler and a nice raft of 50+ Wigeon. Green Woodpecker was heard (I still need it for the year list).

This brings me to 115 for the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment