Sunday 25 March 2012

New trap designs

24th March 2012 -
The MV bulb switch-over has inspired more trapping ideas. Thoughts move to trapping at work, trapping in local woods, and definitely can't wait to get some warmer nights to see how the garden reacts to the MV blast!

In the meantime we have to put up with these horrid cold nights, and not a lot arriving at the trap (although it's making me wonder whether the meagre totals I'm getting would be simply non-existant using the Actinic setup?)

Anyway, yesterday plans came to fruition of a Robinson-style trap. A plastic crate obtained from work had a funnel installed and the MV hung via a tripod of garden canes over the top. I had this on for a few hours last night, and after some VERY patient waiting, I managed 1 x Clouded Drab actually in the trap, and 5 others to the sheds/sheet. I was a bit dissappointed by this as I wanted to try and work out whether the new set-up would work or not, but there just wasn't enough flying round to even judge whether the trap would actually trap anything!

We'll just have to wait and see...

No comments:

Post a Comment