Monday 19 March 2012

A Purple patch

 The only problem about getting bird news during the week is that 99 times out of 100 I can't see the bird, because of work or having to pick my son up from school. The only day I can hopefully get away with it is Mondays, as firstly I don't have obligations on Mondays and this gives me the opportunity during the rest of the week to make up any time that I spend away from the desk. So yesterday's news of the Purple Sandpiper at Kilvington couldn't have come at a better time. This bird is the 16th record for Nottingham, and it was at a site that I have wanted to visit for a while but never quite found the right moment. This seemed perfect, the only problem was that it was reported twice this morning but nothing since 0945. I put this down to the working habits of most birders, and so went for it anyway. And I'm glad I did. I got onto it straight away, and it was associating with my first 2 Little Ringed Plover of the year too - bonus birds! The Purple showed well but not scope-filling views in the south corner of the West Lake and looked a bit like this, but not quite so shaky....
Also on sit were this pair of Stock Pigeons, just sat huddled in the field for the whole time I was there (about an hour), not too sure why or what they were achieving?

Bird Yearlist = 122

No comments:

Post a Comment