Monday 26 March 2012

Juxta-birding

A stunning weekend of beautiful sunshine yet annoyingly cold nights has produced several 'firsts'. My first Brimstone butterflies were seen in someone's front garden down my road whilst he sat watching TV completely oblivious to two superb butter-yellow males dancing under his window. My first wasp in the kitchen, not quite as pleasant as the Brimstone's but a sure sign of warmer times ahead. Our first trip to the park to play footie and throw the frisbee!

So it was quite an odd feeling this morning when, after dropping Jordan off at school, I popped in to Wilne Lane, and whilst listening to the Skylarks belting out their melancholy tunes and feeling the sun on the back of my neck I stood by the river watching my first Whooper Swan of the year. Lovely bird, no doubt. But not one I usually associate with blazing sun, and the signs of Spring all around me.

Also on the river were a pair of Goosander who, in typical style, only let me get to a certain distance before belting off down stream. Here they are zipping past me! Just left of the Swan (Mute not Whooper).

Also heard a Green Woodpecker, but it wouldn't be seen. I think I'm never going to see one this year (cue the Green Woodpecker population to go into hiding now).




Bird Yearlist = 124

No comments:

Post a Comment