Sunday 18 March 2012

Spring is definitely here

16th March 2012
The return of one of my favourites heralded the return of Spring for my mothing year. With reports of Swallows, Garganey, Wheatears and Brimstones the discovery of my first Hebrew Character for the year brought a little smile to my bleary-eyed face early on Saturday morning. Now I know to any moth'ers reading this that the Hebrew Character is by far a rare species, nor is it decidedly gaudy enough to stop people in the tracks...but there's just something about them that I like. I mean look at this photo and fail to find this little chappie anything but cute!?
So delicately patterned and cuddly, if they were the size of hamsters people would keep them for pets, I'm sure of it!

Also in the trap were a Common Quaker and a Clouded Drab was found on the shed door shortly after turning the trap light on. Not a big catch again, but things are looking up (except for this week, cos the weather looks crap again!)

Moth yearlist = 13

Sunday - I had a walk round Trent Valley Pits next to the A50 today. I had seen some reports from here earlier in the year and wondered where they were. So a quick search on t'Internet revealed this guide http://www.lros.org.uk/trentvalley.htm. The site certainly has lots of potential as a number of habitats are covered, but it did appear as though it was quite busy. The pits had several anglers on them and cars were moving around the pits transporting the anglers to their pegs. I didn't see much exciting although a possible Cetti's Warbler was calling from the reeds. Good numbers of Great Crested Grebe were present, along with a few Tufties and several Black-headed Gulls and two Commons. Reed Bunting and Chaffinch were both in full song which sounded great in the morning sun. Looked like a cracking spot for some mothing too...

No comments:

Post a Comment