Tuesday 13 September 2011

Finally a catch up

I've been reading blogs for about a year now and it always used to bug me when people said "I'm sorry for not posting recently, but I just haven't had the time", and I used to think 'How busy are you really, that you can't find the time to post a blog?'. Until now, of course, as for the last two weeks I literally haven't had the time to post my mothing and birding exploits. So I hold my hands up and say sorry for ever doubting all you busy, busy people!
Anyway, onwards and forwards with this blog. And a quick (or should that be lengthy?) round up of what I've been up to for the past two weeks....
20th August - A family holiday to Devon. This is our annual holiday where my parents, brother, Jordan and myself go and spend the week in a friend's static caravan on a stunning campsite on the banks of the beautiful River Teign, just outside the most friendly and serene Devon village of Shaldon. The campsite is perfect for birding, kayaking, crabbing, fishing and generally relaxing! And also provides plenty of opportunities to do fun stuff to do for all ages.
The campsite is a bit too open to provide any moth-trapping chances, but I did get a couple of goodies to the caravan light. One of these was my first ever Marbled Green, and with it came my first Devon record of Limespeck Pug. Along with some Agriphila and Square-spot Rustic it was as good as it was going to get!
Birding was a bit better with trips to the wonderful Berry Head with great views of Shag, Peregrine and Wheatear, the wild Dawlish Warren which provided me with Ringed Plover for the year (can you believe I've not caught up with this species yet?) and also a Little Stint and Arctic Skua on the estuary. A trip into Shaldon one afternoon sparked this little Rock Pipit to show itself amongst the parked cars of Shaldon's River Walk. Ikept in touch with Birdguides all week and watched as more and waders turned up around the country. I could stand it no more and on the last day of the holiday I had a early morning high tide visit to Bowling Green Marsh RSPB reserve. I've never been here before but I'm definitely going back, it was amazing! The hoards of Curlew and Godwits gave way to Greenshank, Spotted Redshank, Ruff, Whimbrel, Green and Common Sandpiper, Knot and 3 Bearded Tit were a good record for Devon. The Osprey failed to show, but the Kingfisher finished off a brilliant morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment