Monday 2 January 2012

New Year - New Focus

Happy New Year to all my readers (yep both of you!),

This year is the year! The year that I break my all-time record bird species seen in a single year. Currently that record stands at 214 (in 2007). I know, that's not a massive score compared to the top guys, but I am far from competing with those guys and so prefer to compete with myself instead. This also means that hopefully you will be able to read more about my birding exploits as well as my mothing (once we get going that is!) on my blog.

So here we go.....

1st Jan 2012
Carsington Water, Derbyshire - a kick start at my favourite Derbyshire site. The Great Northern Diver had returned before Xmas, so I thought this was as good a place as any to start off the new year. I got there at just after dawn, with the clouds breaking briefly for this photo...


The highlights of the day included the Great Northern Diver


this pair of Pintail (apologies for the terrible photo, taken through my mobile phone in poor light!)

And this White-fronted Goose which has been around for a couple of days apparently. Whether it's genuine or not I don't know, but for now it's on my list until I get to Glos/Norfolk to see some more.


Other interesting species included Willow Tit at both Paul Stanley and the Wildlife Centre feeders, Great Spotted Woodpecker, and Siskin (I never see enough of these cracking birds). Everything else was pretty normal fare, although there were a few notable exceptions that I should have got (Fieldfare and Redwing for example!)

However, the day finished on 46 species in 4 hours of birding.

No comments:

Post a Comment