Saturday 23 July 2011

Not much of a birthday bonanza

My little boy's 10th birthday on Thursday! But the moths definitely didn't come out to celebrate with us. Although in fairness it wasn't a great night for the winged creatures....temperatures were relatively low (certainly early in the morning) and the sky was clear.

This was reflected in the slightly lower numbers, with only 68 moths of 27 species caught. I did get these two Small Fan-footed Wave which are new for the year. I only caught two of these last year so to get these two in one trap was good to see.

Here are a few of the other moth highlights. They include this Campion which I always enjoy catching simply because it's a cracking looking moth! I also had a reccurence of the Shuttle-shaped Dart, with two in the trap. These are the first I've had since April/May so I assume they are second generation? You can really see the 'shuttles' on this one. In addition to several of the commoner micros (Scoparia ambigualis/Dipleurina lacustrata/ Eudonia mercurella/Agriphila straminella) I caught this worn crambid. At first I thought it was Crambus lathionellus but now I'm thinking Catoptria falsella.




The Scarce Footman is becoming a regular at the trap just lately, I've caught at least one in most traps I've done for the past week or so. As is the next moth, this Scalloped Oak. Only ever a solitary visitor however. The last one is another puzzler...Currant or Wormwood Pug. Again any comments would be very welcome!




Full catch report for Thursday 21st July 2011
Agriphila straminella x 3
Bee Moth
Brimstone x 3
Campion
Catoptria falsella (New for Year)
Chrysoteuchia culmella
Clepsis consimiliana x 2
Common Rustic agg x 2
Common Wainscot
Currant Pug
Dark Arches x 14
Dipleurina lacustrata x 6
Dun-bar
Eudonia mercurella
Garden Carpet
Heart and Dart x 4
Large Yellow Underwing x 3
Marbled Minor agg.
Pale Mottled Willow
Riband Wave x 5
Scalloped Oak
Scarce Footman
Scoparia ambigualis x 2
Shuttle-shaped Dart x 2
Small Fan-footed Wave x 2 (New for Year)
Uncertain x 5
Willow Beauty x 2

Let's see what tonight brings?!?

Oh...and the birds did disappear as predicted! Frustration keeps me on my toes...

No comments:

Post a Comment